Growing Chillis, Peppers and Aubergines: Day #0 - Six varieties of chillis & peppers

I have a plan for a successful harvest of chillis and peppers this year. But which varieties will I be growing? My criteria was simply to have the main types of pepper I use in cooking, for all types of dishes. So, in no particular order, I have chosen:

1. Jalapeno's (Capsicum annuum)

Because they're important for Mexican food! These are the only non-organic seeds I'm planting. For some reason I couldn't find organic Jalapeno's locally or with online shipping in Europe. Anyone know a link? I will be careful with the plants when flowering to get uncontaminated germination and then save seed for next year, not only because I want organic seed but because they cost $3 for just 10 seeds.


2. Habanada (Capsicum chinense)

An apparently heatless form of habanero from Row 7 Seeds. I really want to try these (as in taste them) so bought a packet in 2018. Still 0 seeds germinated from the packet and only 4 left... but this year I'm feeling lucky.


3. Cayenne (Capsicum annuum)

For Indian curries. I love spicy food and think cayenne is just the right heat. Seeds from bingenheimersaatgut.de. Not much else to say!


4. Paprika - King of the North (Capsicum annuum)

A sweet pepper the ripens early in low temperature, ideal for the zone 7 climate. Seeds from a collective of organic farmers in Germany who are keeping local varieties going: dreschflegel-saatgut.de


5. Paprika - Petit Marseillais (Capsicum annuum)

A French heirloom sweet pepper from dreschflegel-saatgut.de, this one is a small yellow variety. I'm thinking a mix of these with King of the North and couple of Jalapeno's will make a great Fajita filling. Choosing seeds makes me really hungry.


6. Papy's Peppers (Capsicum annuum)

Actually I have no idea what the real name is. These are the sweet peppers my grandad grows and he gave me some seeds saved in 2018. They're a classic Mediterranean variety, great in ratatouille or stuffed.



Comments