Growing Chillis, Peppers and Aubergines: Day #3 - First seeds to germinate!

It's been 3 days since I folded the seeds from 6 types of pepper & chilli plus 2 types of aubergine into damp paper towels, packed them into a small plastic box and left them on a heated floor. I checked for germination today for the first time by carefully unfolding the damp paper. To my surprise 3 varieties of Capsicum, plus 1 aubergine, have already germinated! I'm surprised because the seed packets say 7-14 days and I've read many articles saying that it can take much longer.

Each day I check the temperature from a thermometer sitting on top of the germination box. The temperature has remained stable for the last 3 days at 25c. I was actually thinking that it's not getting warm enough, 28 celsius was my goal, so I cranked up the rooms thermostat a little just before checking the seeds... maybe that wasn't necessary.

Here's the germination leaderboard for day #3:

- Aubergine 2018: 7 of 7
- Cayenne: 5 of 8
- Petit Marseillais: 4 of 8
- King of the North: 2 of 8
- Habanero: 0 of 2
- Jalapeno: 0 of 4
- Papy's Peppers: 0 of 9
- Aubergine 2019: 0 of 4

Not the most exciting photos, but here we go...

Aubergine (2018)

Cayenne

King of the North

Petit Marseillais

As planned, tomorrow I will transplant the germinated seeds into coco-coir pellets so this evening I have started to soak the dry pellets in the Ikea germination chamber. It's good to have a plan.


Comments